These hearty muffins will fill you up with fiber and flavor instead of fat.
Categories: Desserts, Snack, Low Calorie, Low Sodium, Low Fat, Vegetarian
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Place oats in a small bowl, pour in buttermilk.
- Let sit for two hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and brown sugar.
- Stir in oat/buttermilk mixture, applesauce and egg; mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.