This is a simple and easy to toss together recipe using cauliflower. Serve this dish with Indian breads such as thin rotis or naans – even a pita bread will do! Garnish with cilantro if you’d like. Asofoetida can be found in some grocery stores, but will most likely be found in an Indian grocery store, it is often called ‘hing’.
Here’s What You Need
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 hot green pepper, split down its length
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- 1 potato, cubed
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Heat oil over a medium-high heat.
- Toss in the mustard seeds; when they start spluttering, add the asafoetida, followed by the cumin seeds, turmeric powder and the green pepper.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and ginger; stir and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the potato, cauliflower florets, sugar and salt; stir well and cook until the potatoes are cooked and the cauliflower tender yet crunchy.
- (For a crunchier cauliflower, add it when the potatoes are just getting done but not quite finished cooking).
Servings: 2, Calories: 361, Fat: 22.1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 646mg, Carbohydrate: 37.8g, Protein: 10g